Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Carmelo Anthony Arrested for DUI


Denver Nuggets superstar Carmelo Anthony was arrest Monday morning at around 4am after being pulled over for suspicion of drunken driving. Anthony is one of the Nuggets most premier players who was drafted in 2003 after attending Syracuse University for only one year, taking them to a National Championship. Anthony was pulled over in his Mercedes near downtown because officials said he was unable to keep his car in one lane and had his high-beam lights on. Earlier Monday evening Anthony and his Nuggets took on the Houston Rockets; they won the game but it was Anthony’s worst performance of the season, which is in its last week. There is no excuse for this type of behavior from a professional athlete especially at such an important time in the season. Carmelo was mature about his actions and released an apology as soon as he could, which was on Tuesday. "I want to apologize to my family, fans, and the Denver Nuggets organization for my actions early Monday morning. As a leader, I know they expect a lot from me and I regret putting myself in this situation. I also want to apologize to my teammates for the distraction this has caused," said Anthony, who is averaging 25.8 points and 7.4 rebounds in 76 games this season. This shows that he wanted to publicly tell the people he effected that he knows what he did was wrong and he is taking responsibility. I was surprised to see him respond so early and I believe it will help people forgive him because so often we see people and organizations put off public apologies. It was completely his choice to make the apology even though he had help from his attorney. By acting quickly and taking responsibility for his actions, Anthony showed his fans and teammates that he is an honest person and will hopefully learn from his mistake.

No comments: